We had a plethora of vegetables this fine summer, and like any good homemaker, I didn’t want to waste any. However, when you throw into my dinner plans a house that hates tomatoes, five children who won’t eat jalapenos and a husband who doesn’t touch zucchini? I was left over with a whole lot of produce and not many people willing to eat it all.
(one day of produce we brought in!)
And in my attempt to waste less(something I’ve been aiming to do since we added to this crazy family and I realized just how much food went into the trash!) I created this recipe! Behold, zucchini lasagna.
(an extra large zucchini! my pride and joy this summer)
What you need:
-1 large onion
-2 cans of mushrooms
-2 green peppers
-1 large zucchini(mine pictured above was too large! I only used half)
7 medium/smaller tomatoes. I used 6 Roma tomatoes and then one ugly tomato at the end!)
-1 clove of garlic
-lots of basil. or a little-again, this is a preference sort of recipe. I used a LOT however, I am Italian and we eat our basil off the stem.
-Salt/Pepper to taste
-Left over turkey
-(When you freeze it, do NO add until after your heating it up!) Cheese
What to do:
- Take the onion, peppers, mushrooms and jalapeno. Cut them all up finely and begin to sautee them.
- Core the tomatoes and cut them up, preferably diced, however some food processors have more capabilities than our oldie but goodie. process the tomatoes. Add in some basil(I used 10ish medium sized leaves, again, ITALIAN, so feel free to use less.) Add garlic. Mix all the sauce up again and add in pepper and salt to taste
- Thinly slice the zucchini. I used two small containers and a serving sized bowl. This can also make a real sized pan of lasagna, but again, these are mainly for myself when I want to eat healthier than the Chef Boyardee days!
- Put a layer of zucchini into the pans. Add a dressing of the red sauce. Put a layer of zucchini on top again
- Add a layer of your sauteed veggies.
- (optional again) Make a layer of Basil leaves!
- Add another layer of zucchini and top all of this with the red sauce.
- Finely chop up the turkey and lay it down in a layer. Put over it some more sauteed veggies and another spoonful of red sauce
- Finish with a layer of zucchini. Put into an oven at 350* and cook for 45 minutes.
- This is where I froze mine, if you plan on freezing, wrap nicely and freeze. If not, add on the cheese and heat up an extra 15 minutes.
- When unthawing, layer cheese on top to your discretion. Put into an oven heated to 400* and cook for 30 minutes.
(the heated up finished good!)
This is delicious and super healthy! If you don’t eat meat or cheese, feel free to abstain from adding either of those steps. It’s a quick healthy meal you can throw together while there’s a lot of produce and reheat when it’s the middle of winter and your kids want something absolutely terrible- and you’re going to let them have the preservatives! If you decide to try this, let me know how yours comes out!!